“Thankfulness brings you to the place where the Beloved lives.” – Rumi
Aahhh! It’s the last day of the month, and I still haven’t written my gratitude list for my birthday in September.
Here it is, 37 things I’m grateful for, in my 37th year of life:
- My family, who love and support me unconditionally.
- The Universe, or whatever higher power exists, that guides me, protects me, provides for me, and enlightens me.
- My sweet angel-baby, who transformed my life in a way that nothing else ever did.
- Asia, for giving me an experience of a lifetime: fun, challenges, annoyances, intrigue, opportunities and hospitality.
- South Africa, for making me a strong woman with a loud voice. For a culturally rich upbringing and FREEDOM!
- My job, for the opportunity to contribute to educating the world, for the students who love me, the parents who trust me, the employers who treat me with dignity and respect, and the progressive education system, which schools me as I teach. Oh, and the income too.
- My talent: writing keeps me sane, gives me pure pleasure, and provides a platform for me to make a difference in society.
- My friends: the few who have stood by me through the darkest of times.
- My dog: Just because she’s a good girl. No wait, the best girl!
- Suffering: Abuse, trauma and grief have made me more empathetic towards others and their circumstances. It’s built a survivor in me who fears little, takes risks, braves the unknown and fights for fairness and justice. It has taught me to never take anything for granted.
- Travel: The best times of my life. Opens my mind, fills me with knowledge, builds my self-confidence, and makes me conscious of our environment and humanity.
- Therapy: Social workers, psychologists, writers, philosophers, motivational speakers, life coaches, and healers who helped me to go within to find myself again, and to believe in myself.
- Literature and art: for developing my cognitive abilities to be a thinker and creator.
- The Internet: for the endless entertainment, education and social media.
- My dreams: for fueling me with energy to never up, and to keep living every day with purpose and vision.
- Oh, who am I kidding, I ain’t gonna list 37 things… Here’s my short but kick-ass list of 15 things I’m grateful for. I’ll try again, to create a list of 40, when I hit the next decade, soon. 😊